Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Attraction of Opposites


Ashley G

Professor Zoller

Life Narratives

12/6/2012

Response to “He and I”

                I cannot pretend that I have any personal romantic relationship knowledge.  I am simply a “people watcher.” It is rather fun to watch married couples, particularly those that have been happily married for many years.  The people of the couple depicted in this essay are mostly opposites. They bicker, fall asleep at another’s function, and have exceptionally different personalities. But somehow it works; they love each other in spite of their differences and even appreciate some of them. My grandparents ought to have their own sitcom. The two of them are positively hilarious. As a kid I knew that if I asked one of them for something and they refused, that the other would say yes. Their banter between one another is laughable but still at the end of the day I know that they love each other. My parents are like this too. My mom (and  my little sister) will stay up into the wee hours of the morning watching a poorly made romantic tearjerker type film but if she watches something my dad likes (like an action flick) she’ll be out on a matter of minutes. My dad is an introvert, my mom and extrovert. Mom can play the piano in her sleep and dad can sing a little. I’m not certainly convinced that opposites always attract but it seems to work for them. So perhaps one day I’ll be sitting watching a film with a man who likes to go out a lot and is hot all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment