Thursday, October 4, 2012

Taste and See


Ashley G.

Professor Zoller

Life Narratives

10/4/2012

Response to “Seeing” by Annie Dillard

                What is sight? There is the scientific definition that says that it is light hitting our eyes and transmitting a signal to our brains that we interpret to make images. Annie Dillard seems to say that there is a difference between looking at something and “seeing” something. In this narrative she talks for a bit about blind individuals who have gotten their sight back. Some of those “cured” of their blindness will keep their eyes shut because they do not understand sight or dislike it. I was struck by this and then decided to experiment. Closing my eyes I felt around at my work space and ran my fingers across a book, some fabric and my cell phone. I tried to forget what the sensations of touch meant to me as someone who has never been blind. It was nearly impossible. As much as I tried I could not stop “seeing” the image of what I was touching in my mind. I can only imagine the shock that someone who had been blind their whole life would experience when seeing for the first time. I put so much stock in sight. I am a writer and could write without seeing, using braille for example, but what would I write about? It seems that everything I write I visualize in my mind. I am a very visual person; if someone is explaining something to me I usually want to see it for myself. Even after all this thought I still mull over the same question. What is sight?   

No comments:

Post a Comment